Managing an Award
As your project gets underway, check out these resources and tips to help you manage your award.
- Grants Hub offers project management services.
- Understand the Board of Regents nepotism policy.
- Read the center and institute guidelines.
- Set up and manage sponsored programs accounts with the user manual and online training.
- Read the eData user manual.
Working with humans, animals, and hazardous materials
- Conduct research with human subjects/Institutional Review Board (IRB).
- Conduct research with animal subjects/Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC).
- Work with hazardous biological materials/Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC).
- Use radioactive materials or radiation-producing devices/Radiation Safety Committee (RSC).
- Check out lab safety, radiation and other training with Environmental Health & Safety.
Conducting your research responsibly
- Find agency required training on Responsible Conduct of Research.
- Find information about conflicts of interest, and read up on conflicts of interest policies.
- Limit the transfer of sensitive information, materials, and services: Information and guidelines on export control.
- Read “What Every Researcher Should Know.”
Concerns about research misconduct?
Iowa State University provides a subscription to iThenticate for researchers and graduate students for the detection of plagiarism.
Protecting intellectual property & commercializing your research
- Turn to the Iowa State Research Foundation & Office of Intellectual Property & Technology Transfer.
- Reach out to Iowa State’s Economic Development and Industrial Relations.
Closing out a grant
Grants Hub offers an award closeout service.
Read the instructions for closing studies with a variety of subjects:
- Instructions for closing a study with human subjects, plus the IRB project closure form.
- The IACUC project closure form for closing a study with animals.
- The IBC project closure form for closing a study with biohazards.
Review, monitor, and close out sponsored program accounts.
Training and development
Save the date and register for these upcoming VPR training and development events.
Policies and guidelines
Search the policies and guidelines surrounding research and intellectual property at Iowa State.
Sign up for E-News for Researchers, where you’ll receive important news for research faculty and staff about new resources, services, facilities, policies, and funding opportunities.
Our service units support your research and scholarship — from submitting your proposal to caring for animals used in your research to conducting your research responsibly.